Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Review: Chipotle Sofritas

Yesterday I had the chance to try out Chipotle Mexican Grill's new vegan addition, Sofritas!! I first heard about this new, tofu based option when it was reviewed on Our Hen House and I was excited to try it! 

I first of course had to figure out exactly what it was made of and if it had any corn or gluten ingredients. While the ingredients for this option are not listed on the online menu, when I emailed asking about the ingredients they happily provided them to me.

Sofritas are described as "shredded organic tofu braised with chipotle chilis, roasted poblanos and a blend of aromatic spices" which actually pretty accurately describes the ingredients!

Here is the ingredient list I was provided:

Organic Tofu
Rice Bran Oil (for frying)
Sofrito:
Onions
Green pepper
Adobo*
Tomato paste
Poblano peppers
Red wine vinegar
Water
Kosher salt
Minced garlic
Ground toasted cumin
Dried oregano
Roasted Tomatoes

* Chipotle’s Adobo contains:
Black Pepper
Chipotle Chile (Dry Ground)
Cumin
Garlic
Oregano
Rice Bran Oil
Water

I tried the new Sofritas as a bowl with brown rice, black beans, fresh tomato salsa, guacamole, and lettuce and I thought it was great!



The Sofritas were relatively spicy so I was glad to have the guacamole to balance it out. It had a texture really reminiscent of a few soy chorizo crumbles I have had before, so very similar to ground beef or turkey (except totally animal free!).

I was also extremely happy that I did not have any adverse reactions after my meal, meaning all the ingredient lists I had been provided with were most likely accurate and certainly corn-free! So, not only did I have an easy and delicious meal but it was one free of allergic reactions. Sounds like a win to me!

I'm really happy to know there's a quick and tasty meal that I can enjoy at a really common restaurant chain, I'm sure I'll be eating more burrito bowls with Sofritas in the future!

Currently I think Sofritas are only available at West Coast Chipotle locations, however they will hopefully be everywhere soon!

Have you tried the new Sofritas yet? If so what did you think?

1 comment:

  1. ooh. they are on my list to try out.. great info on the ingredients:)

    ReplyDelete