I love smoothies. Up until six months ago I would have a giant smoothie for breakfast almost every morning, a practice I intend to get back to.
One limitation I encounter when making smoothies however, is my need to avoid bananas, which are a strong migraine trigger for me. This always seems to complicate my smoothie making as almost every recipe I see online or in a cookbook requires banana. So, I bring you the banana-free breakfast smoothie!
Banana-free Breakfast Smoothie
Makes 5-6 cups
- 1 cup pineapple, frozen
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 cup mixed berries, frozen
- 1/2 cup blueberries, frozen
- 1 cup mango, frozen
- 1 tbsp flax seed/flax seed meal
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (I used soy)
- water to reach desired consistency
1. Place all ingredients except water into your blender.
2. Blend until smooth.* Your smoothie should be thick and creamy.
3. Add water and blend to reach your desired consistency (i.e do you want to use a spoon or a straw to enjoy your smoothie?). I added 1/2 cup water to get a fluid but still thick smoothie.
* If you are opposed to little chunks in your smoothies I would advise peeling the apple and perhaps omitting the flax and chia seeds. Alternatively, really blend it for a couple minutes if you want to make sure everything is the same texture. I for one enjoy getting the odd seed or sip of apple pulp, but I know that is not enjoyable for everyone!
|Can you see the little apple flakes?! Yum yum! ;)|
Also, feel free to play around with the fruit involved. Feeling like a bit more mango than berries? Go for it! I love making smoothies based on how I'm feeling in the moment and enjoy seeing what I come up with! I hope to share some more smoothie recipes throughout VeganMofo, so stay tuned!
On a different note, did you see me mentioned on Our Hen House?!
I just started helping out Our Hen House (OHH) by doing some transcribing work, which Jasmin talked about today on the OHH blog!! Another volunteer and I have worked on one interview thus far and we will continue to transcribe the interviews from upcoming episodes, as well as potentially some older ones. I am thrilled to be able to help this incredible organization and to be honest I'm still a little star stuck that I've been mentioned on OHH (is that really MY name?!?).
Finally, check out the RandomMofo generator! I've already whiled away a good amount of time on this, and I know I will be spending a lot more time here throughout the month!
Happy Wednesday, and do you have any favorite banana-free smoothie recipes? If so I would love to hear about them in the comments!