Monday, September 9, 2013

My Favorite Blogs Part One: Oh She Glows

Happy Monday!

This may or may not be clear from the recipes I have shared thus far for VeganMofo, but I am not a chef or recipe creator. In fact, the recipes I have been sharing this past week I can easily say are the first recipes I have really "created." I certainly cook all the time, and like to create new food concoctions for myself, but as I learned last week, recipe creation is something entirely different!

Most of my cooking is taken either directly from some of my favorite blogs, or is at least inspired by some of these blogs. As such, I thought one thing I would do this month is share some of these blogs and my favorite things I have made and learned from them!

Oh She Glows

This was the very first blog that I really started to follow. I found Angela Liddon at Oh She Glows even before I went vegan and I can honestly say, she is one of the reasons why I was able to go vegan so easily. Even before I cut all animal products out of my diet, I knew that there was amazing, delicious, and easy to make vegan food and that being vegan was in no way about deprivation.

This is also the blog where I send my non-vegan friends and family if they are interested in making a vegan dish. I can really honestly say that I personally have never made something I haven't liked from her and everything I have made for, or with, non-vegans has been well received!

Here are just a few of my favorite recipes by her!

(Please note all of the pictures I share here are from Oh She Glows and are not taken by me. You can right click each image to reach its source)

Homemade Almond Milk:

I very much enjoy store-bought almond milk, but it really just doesn't compare to its homemade counterpart. Unfortunately for me, when I make homemade almond milk it is just so good that I drink it about five times faster than I would normally, and have to make it all the time! Thus, out of practicality, I make this as a treat for myself, and a very good one at that!



I have also successfully combined Angela's Almond Milk recipe with her Oat Milk recipe to make a delicious combo.

Overnight Oats:

This breakfast is amazing. As I mentioned in an earlier post, smoothies used to be my go to breakfast and I loved a smoothie in the morning (and still do) but overnight oats were what got me to switch it up! I love making overnight oats because it takes about 3 minutes once you know what you're doing, you can do it the night before, and when I'm rushing out the door grabbing my jar of oats to eat on the way to class is a life-saver!

I love this post about Angela's overnight oats, basically the possibilities are endless!


My staple normally ends up being the basic overnight oats recipe with some blueberries and granola which brings me to...

Lighten Up Summer Granola:


This is my favorite granola ever. This granola has effectively ruined all store bought granola for me! Not only it is substantially healthier than almost all store bought granola, it is just so much tastier!

Overnight oats with blueberries and topped with this granola? Sounds like a good way to start the day to me!

Super Power Chia Bread:

Moving onto lunch, I also love this bread. Needing to eat both gluten-free and corn-free provides me with limited (and often expensive) bread options and so when I can make something at home, I'm all for it!


I also love chia seeds, so having them in bread is another win for me!

Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad:

Another lunch favorite of mine, the Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad! I love chickpeas, love them! I also love this salad! The onions and lime (as well as all the spices) give it a great bite and I also like how easy it is to make a big of a batch of this (just double or triple the recipe) and how well it keeps in the fridge. It's a great recipe for me to make over the weekend and then eat for lunch throughout the week.


Quinoa Salads:

I have made a lot of quinoa salad recipes by Angela, but my favorite and most frequently made is probably her Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad, which I make without the corn kernels.


Quinoa salads are another go to for lunches for me since they are easy to make and keep really well throughout the week.

Thai Cucumber Salad:

This was one of my staples this summer. I love the crunchy-ness of the cooked chickpeas and the tartness of the dressing, and just all of it! Delicious!


Veggie Summer Rolls:


I love Thai food and I love summer rolls. So this recipe is a perfect match!

Rad Rainbow Pad Thai:

Another Thai inspired recipe, this was another salad I was constantly making this summer.


I also made this with my family and they enjoyed it as well!

Creamy Avocado Pasta:

Pasta is such a college staple and so whenever I find a way to make it a bit more interesting, I'm all for it! I am also a little obsessed with avocado, so it all sounds good to me!


Grilled Tofu with Pineapple Salsa and Coconut Rice:

This was another recipe I made with my non-vegan family and they totally loved it! Before making it I had never grilled tofu before and I was somewhat skeptical, but it turned out great!


Oil-free Chocolate Zucchini Walnut Muffins:

Let's finish off with some desserts! Although I suppose you could enjoy these for breakfast, when I've made these tasty muffins I treated them more like a dessert. I've always loved carrot cakes and zucchini breads and so I also discovered through this recipe that I love zucchini muffins!


Irresistible Chewy Trail Mix Cookies:


I talked about these cookies earlier this month but they're so good that they deserve repeating! These are definitely not something I want to have around all the time, because I know a diet of only these cookies would not be a good one, but if you are looking for a special treat, these would be awesome!

Summer Stone Fruit Crisp:

Last but not least, I love this delicious fruit crisp! This was another dish I brought to a gathering with non-vegans and it was well received! One thing I really loved about this recipe was that it wasn't overpoweringly sweet. Instead, the fruit spoke for itself and was beautifully complemented by the topping!


Well, as I'm sure you can see I love a lot of Angela's recipes! Whenever I'm wanting to make a new recipe Oh She Glows is the first place I turn to, and I have yet to be disappointed!

Angela is also coming out with a cookbook next year, which I could not be more thrilled about! Amazing recipes and stunning photography? Tell me where to send my money!

Have you made any delicious recipes from Oh She Glows?

No comments:

Post a Comment